Southern cornmeal hushpuppies are simple and scrumptious.
Southern cornmeal hushpuppies are spherical cornmeal dumplings that normally accompany a giant dish of fried fish. There are a lot of totally different concepts as to how hushpuppies obtained their title. In case you test the web, you’ll provide you with among the following:
1. Accomplice troopers used their corn biscuit rations to feed to their canine to quiet them to be able to keep away from detection from Union troopers, therefore the phrase hushing the puppies.
2. It’s believed that whereas cooking fried meals with batter outdoors resembling fish, balls of batter have been fried and given to the canine to maintain them from begging or barking, thus the title “hush puppies”.
3. (This one is my favourite. I’m a Kentuckian and it is sensible to me.) They have been fried as much as toss to the canine to maintain them quiet whereas the “revenooers” have been snooping round in search of stills. No matter rationalization, fried catfish simply isn’t the identical with out hushpuppies.
Elements Wanted for Southern Cornmeal Hushpuppies:
White granulated sugar, non-obligatory
Onion, finely chopped or grated
Recent or dried chives
Oil for fryingAre you studying our digital journal, Entrance Porch Life? It’s filled with nice new recipes, nation dwelling, incredible individuals, southern appeal, cooking suggestions and a lot extra. We ship it on to your electronic mail so you can begin studying, cooking, and stress-free instantly! That is our premium content material not discovered on our web site. Be part of 1000’s of others at the moment and begin having fun with our journal!
Southern Cornmeal Hushpuppies
Hushpuppies are an awesome addition to any meal. Plus, they’re tremendous simple!
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons white granulated sugar non-obligatory
- 1/2 of a medium onion finely chopped or grated
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tablespoon recent chives chopped or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- oil for frying
Mix all components in a big bowl. Combine with spoon. The batter must be simply moist sufficient which you could form it into balls in regards to the dimension of a walnut along with your fingers and it sticks collectively.
Have oil sizzling in a skillet and drop hushpuppies into oil. Cook dinner about 3 to 4 minutes browning on all sides. Take away and drain on paper towels.
This makes about 20 to 24 hushpuppies. You possibly can double or triple the recipe.
© The Southern Woman Cooks photographs and textual content – All rights reserved. No copying, posting on different websites, or different makes use of allowed with out written permission of the copyright holder.