When was the final time you counted to a thousand?
That is the rhetorical query requested by former U.S. Marine Aaron Marks in introducing his newest exercise — a full-body circuit consisting of 1,000 whole reps. This routine is for anybody who lacks fitness center tools however needs higher conditioning, fats loss, and total grit.
You realize who the exercise just isn’t for? The faint of coronary heart.
Featured coach: Aaron Marks is a Marine Corps veteran who served 4 years as a machine gunner with 2nd BN, eighth Marines in Camp Lejeune, NC. Now dwelling in Portland, OR, he’s additionally a programming adviser and athlete for Laborious to Kill Health and a full-time member of the Bravo Sierra staff.
Gear wanted: “NBB” (nothing however body weight)
Time dedication: Block off an hour (give or take) for this exercise, relying in your health degree.
Exercise overview: Marks’ circuit is fairly straight-forward — a set of seven workout routines that can work you head to toe, 4 rounds of 225 reps mixed, and 1,000 whole reps by the top of the exercise.
Break up the reps nonetheless you need (or want) to. In every spherical, you may both do all reps for an train earlier than transferring onto the subsequent, or trip between workout routines. For instance, you could need to break up the 40 reps of burpees with some Supermans or mendacity leg raises combined in.
“This exercise will be as enjoyable as it’s troublesome. Whether or not you’re coaching with a pal or in a gaggle, or aiming to beat your greatest time, something goes with a exercise like this. Are you able to add tools? Completely, however accomplish that at your personal threat. For instance, I carried out the air squats with a 60-pound Go Ruck Sandbag, and Spherical 2 was quite a bit tougher than I anticipated.
Don’t say I didn’t warn you!”
Aaron Marks’ ‘Laborious to Kill’ 1,000-Rep, Complete-Physique Circuit
Warmup: Do 5 to 10 minutes of sunshine cardio, adopted by full-body dynamic stretching, earlier than finishing the beneath routine.
“One factor I love to do earlier than a exercise is to heat up with a really mild jog to get my blood flowing and physique warmed up,” says Marks. “I’ll often run to 1-2 songs, so roughly 4-6 minutes. So, choose two songs to get your thoughts proper, and begin jogging. One other nice various is shadow boxing (for all you fighters on the market).
“Warming up correctly is extraordinarily necessary to your exercise. Along with stopping sudden accidents, a superb warmup will actually aid you activate your muscle groups to get essentially the most out of your exercise. A strong 5-10-minute warmup modifications all the pieces.”
The exercise: Full 4 rounds of the next workout routines
- Diamond Pushup – 25 reps
- Air Squat – 40 reps
- Mountain Climber – 60 reps
- Superman – 35 reps
- Burpee – 40 reps
- Cannonball Situps – 30 reps
- Mendacity Leg Increase – 20 reps
Relaxation durations: “Whereas this exercise just isn’t for time (although it may be), solely relaxation so long as you want to between rounds,” says Marks. Most individuals can even must take relaxation throughout rounds and workout routines, particularly on strikes like burpees and diamond push-ups. Relaxation as wanted to finish all reps.
Disclaimer: As the number one,000 suggests, it is a high-volume, extremely difficult exercise. Don’t try it as written except you’re in pretty fine condition. For those who’re not sure, do 1-2 rounds of the circuit as a substitute of 4. You’ll fall properly wanting 1,000 reps doing this, however it would nonetheless present a enough exercise.
- Diamond pushup – It is a triceps-focused pushup together with your index fingers and thumbs touching to type a diamond form.
- Air squats – Carry out these rapidly in the event you like, however be sure that your thighs are reaching parallel with the bottom on each rep.
- Mountain climber – Be at liberty to make these “one-count” mountain climbers, the place each “right-left” is 2 reps. Get by means of these as rapidly as attainable.
- Superman – Gradual this motion down a bit, ensuring you’re feeling the glutes contracting on each rep. Use Supermans as a brief break to your lungs – you’ll want it for the subsequent train…
- Burpee – Contact your chest to the bottom and bounce on the prime of each rep. Forty reps per spherical will probably be robust; relaxation as wanted and simply get them performed.
- Cannonball Situp – This train is just like a V-up (mendacity faceup, beginning together with your legs prolonged and arms overhead), besides as a substitute of touching your fingers and toes collectively, increase your legs and torso off the bottom in order that they meet within the center together with your knees bent. The highest of every rep ought to appear to be a “cannonball” you’d do at a swimming pool.
- Mendacity Leg Increase – Mendacity faceup on the ground together with your legs prolonged and arms on the ground at your sides for stability, increase your legs (holding them straight all through) to perpendicular with the ground, then decrease again down.